TAM 203 Fall 2006 (Site
updated on Dec 12, 2006)
Particle and Rigid Body Dynamics, Official Cornell course description (pretty close)
Professor: Andy Ruina
All course schedules/assignments/information will be on this www site. There are no handouts.
General course information
News (Most recent at top. Obsolete things may get removed.)*(12/12) "Homework exam" and solutions posted on HW page.
***Study period and Finals week office hours (Thurston 102) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Monday Dec 4 10-12 Andy Tuesday Dec 5 1- 3 Andy Tuesday Dec 5 3- 4 Andy (extra section in Thurston 204) Wednes Dec 6 10-12 Andy Thursd Dec 7 10-12 Andy Friday Dec 8 3- 5 Manish Saturda Dec 9 3- 5 Manish Sunday Dec 10 3- 5 Manish Monday Dec 11 3- 5 Manish Tuesday Dec 12 3- 5 Manish Wednes Dec 13 3- 5 Manish* (12/4) Homework exam moved to Tuesday Dec. 12 12-4 PM. Thurston 203. Closed book. No notes. No calculators.
You can bring a one-sided formula sheet, but not any worked out HW etc. You must request permission by email from
Manish to take this exam.
**Please complete the course evaluation. I will read all comments therein. Much of what you saw this semester is based on what I
read of evaluations in previous semesters. http://www.engineering.cornell.edu/CourseEval
* (11/14) If you want to make up a lab please contact Kwang Yul Kim (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Nov 20.
* (11/06) Prelim 2 solutions posted on course exams page (below).
* (10/22) By popular vote, the third prelim is cancelled. Its a bad time and rescheduling is too hard.
* (10/22 12:30 AM) Mistake on homework due Oct 24 corrected on HW page (a 2 changed to a 1).
* (10/18) Extra Manish office hours on Sunday Oct 22, 3:30-4:30P in TH 102.
* (5/10) Matlab two-particle collision example from Oct 5 lecture posted (see Matlab information below)
* (9/27) Prelim 1 solutions are posted (on exam page).
* (9/24) Lab manual for the semester now posted.
* (9/22) Extra Section will be Tuesdays 3-4. Thurston 204.
* (9/21) MATLAB extra help session on Friday Sept 22 at 4:30 PM in Thurston 204.
* (9/18, 2:45 PM) Density of air is about 1 kg/m^3 (Not 1 kg/m^2). (Well, actually, between about 1.25 and 1.3 kg/m^3.)
* (Sept 10, 6:15 PM) Lab 1 finally is posted, such as it is.
* (Sept 5) Until further notice, any homework can be resubmitted any time for a grade improvement.
* (Sept 2) Class voted for heavy HW due Tuesdays, light HW due Thursdays
[Exception Sept 5, no HW due Tuesday Sept 5, heavy HW due Thursday this week, so you can see first graded HW]
* (Aug 29) Lecture room changed to Bard 140
* (Aug 29, 2006) Welcome to TAM 203.
Homework assignments and solutions.
Who teaches what when: lecture, sections, labs, office hours, extra voluntary section.
Exams and grading: coverage of prelims, rooms, dates, final grade formula.
1. Meriam and Kraige: Dynamics
2. RP, Dynamics by Ruina & Pratap, online (hard copy available, ask Andy Ruina)
3. BJ, Beer and Johnston Statics 7th edition (The text used by TAM 202 in 2005, on reserve in library)
4. Lab manual, see Labs page below
Labs. There are four, starting Monday September 11, 2006, structured like in TAM 202.
Old TAM 203 WWW pages (most with exams and solutions): spring 97, spring 2000, fall 2000, spring 02, fall 04 , Spring06