No files on this page may be emailed to anyone or
posted on any sitewithout the authors' written
permission. Cornell students
Copyright 1994-2014 by Andy Ruina and Rudra Pratap
The story. In 1992 we told a textbook sales rep that we didn't like the Dynamics books. She said "Write your own." Most people said "Don't write a book. It's too much work, no-one will appreciate it and it will probably lose money." Saunders contracted the book and then sold it to Oxford. Now it's ours. Most years we work together for a month or so in Ithaca, Finland, or Bangalore. We re-organized the book 4 or 5 times and added a Statics book because students needed help with vectors and free body diagrams. Various pre-release versions have been used at Cornell and elsewhere about 25 times. It has had about 40 external reviews. The table of contents, preface and introduction show our intentions.
Use it for a course? Ask.
1) Add to the solutions manual? We'll tell you how.
2) Suggestions are welcome: Errors, things that are confusing, things that are hard to find. Give us some clues about what you don't like.
3) Make money if you are the first to find an error: $1.00 for math errors, $5 for real errors (with suggestion about how to fix). How? List errors like this (if John Smith is your name and the date is 2/15/14):
Sect 13.2, pg 642, par above "More about pendula". -John Smith 2/15/14
In the argument of the exponentials change gt/l to +- sqrt(g/l)t.
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: TEXT ERRORS)
Statics and Dynamics(Jan 2011)
Summer 2010 version:
Statics and Dynamics 40 MB, 1000 pages (8/21/10),
Partial Solns Manual (8/21/10)
Known errors in 8/21/10 version
Spring 2009 version:
Hardbound, 2-color: 16 chapters, 997 pages. Bookstore price about $95. Errata (Spring 2009, corrected in fall 09 book),
Want a copy for free? Ask.
Aug 7, 2008 Full book: Chapters1-16 w/ index and some answers (997 pages, 28 meg)
Two one-color spiral-bound volumes available as of Aug 28, 2008 for $75 ($72 at Kraftees).
1) A few of the books are missing printing on the inside covers. If yours is one of these (check all 4 inside covers) ask Andy for stickers to put in your book.
2) The (terrible) spiral binding will be more likely to hold together if you put a drop of glue (superglue or plastic cement) on the three latching plastic tabs.
Spring 2008 version:
4/26/08 Chapters 1-14 w/ index and some answers only minor edits to 1-13 (42 megabytes)
Spring 2007 version:
2/15/07: Updated chapter 9 problems (some corrections, new collision problems)
2/18/07: Chapter 10
3/8/07 : Chapter 11
3/13/07: Chapter 12
4/5/07: Chapter 13
4/22/07: Chapter 14
2002 version: (This version was printed with perfect-binding paperback, with glossy blue cover and bike and badminton photos on the cover.)